Happy Wednesday! Here is a mid-week, protein-packed, sweet breakfast treat.
Above are all the ingredients. There is quite a bit of wiggle room with what you can use.
- I used an unsweetened almond milk. You could use whatever kind of milk you prefer.
- I used a full fat cottage cheese to give the smoothie the thickness and creaminess of cake batter. You could also use a full fat plain yogurt — Greek would work great! Many times I buy extra cottage cheese or yogurt and freeze a portion of it in ice cubes for smoothies. Popping cubes into the blender is quicker than measuring it out the morning of.
- Any type of frozen green would work; I like to use the frozen as opposed to fresh because it blends up super nice, and I feel like it lends less of a flavor to the finished product.
- If you use stevia packets, 1/4 teaspoon of extract is equal to one packet or 1/2 teaspoon of powdered stevia. If you don’t use stevia, you can use a different sweetener of your choice.
- The xanthan gum is completely optional to further thicken up the smoothie.
Green Cake Batter Smoothie (Printable Recipe)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup frozen kale
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup cottage cheese frozen in an ice cube tray (each cube is approximately 2 tablespoons, so you’d need 4 cubes)
1/4 teaspoon stevia extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
splash almond extract
5 ice cubes
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- Blend together the milk, frozen kale and protein powder until the kale is liquified.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend to desired consistency.
Recipe adapted from Dashing Dish.
From Sarah’s Kitchen, With Love